[ale] Canonical and Snaps

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Apr 25 15:46:44 EDT 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 09:48:53AM -0400, DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
> The lack of local control really will be the downfall for Ubuntu in
> corporate environments if they continue to push snaps without
> correcting that huge problem.

For most corporate environments, "local control" means "tell our
externally-hosted service provider what stuff to install for us".  Eg
how Google and Apple allow corporate customers to have apps that are
only available to devices registered with @evilcorp.com addresses, or
even on a per-account basis.

So I can easily see Canonical's answer to this lack of customization as
"we will host per-organization snap repositories for only $X/mo/device"
or something like that.  Continuing their efforts to wall off their
users into proprietary monetizable silos.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)