[ale] Canonical and Snaps

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Apr 26 01:50:22 EDT 2023

Ed Cashin said on Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:17:59 -0400

>I could do a web search, but I'd rather hear from ALE members ...
>
>What distros are best for runit-based systems?  Do any distros support
>it as an install option when installing OS?

Void Linux comes standard with runit. I've been using Void for seven
years, love it, and would recommend it to anyone who has gone past the
need for training wheels like those provided by Ubuntu and Mint, and to
a lesser extent Debian. If you can configure things with a text editor,
you're ready for Void.

To those of you who made a policy decision never to use rolling
releases, I hear you. I've used Gentoo, Funtoo and Arch in the past,
and understand your decision. Only thing is, Void implements rolling
release the right way, and as long as you update at least every week or
so, you'll seldom run into update troubles, and when you do, the
Voidlinux IRC channel is ready to help.

SteveT

Steve Litt