[ale] Fair Use question

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Oct 13 09:14:40 EDT 2022

On 10/13/22 09:04, Jerald Sheets via Ale wrote:
> Seconding Bob here.  As a copyright holder, I would be livid and
> would likely sue.
>
> I’m a licensed minister here locally, and would be happy to partner
> with you in educating first your pastor and then this individual.
> What they are doing is illegal and opens up the church to
> litigation.

Copyright holders always take the strictest interpretation of the law.

There are 4 items to consider in a teaching environment for fair use. You can look those up. INAL, so I'll stop there.

Also, it is possible that the author has given permission for the church to use the material in teaching for a specific time.  You and I don't know.  I'd assume not, but it is possible.  The only way to know is to ask to see the written permission from the copyright holder.

With all that said, I'd guess over 90% chance that copyright is being violated, but there is a small chance that it is being used with permission.