[ale] OT: Repair/replace customer side of telephone NID

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Aug 16 09:57:10 EDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 09:40:24AM -0400, Don Lachlan via Ale wrote:
> Do telephone companies generally (or specifically AT&T) cover repairs to the
> customer side of the NID?

The NID is the property of the phone company.  If the NID itself is
damaged, the telco is on the hook to replace it -- indeed, you're
literally not allowed to muck with it.

The "customer side" is just so you can hook up your own wiring to the
NID, nothing else.  If you can't get a signal to the customer side jack,
then call up AT&T and tell them you have no dialtone or whatever, and
they have to make it right, including replacing the NID if necessary.

(Mine's been replaced a couple of times due to lightning taking out the
 filters.  As of Friday I was also also on my third DSL modem in two
 weeks.  Fun times, living in BFE Florida.  With Windstream..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)