[ale] OT: Repair/replace customer side of telephone NID

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Tue Aug 16 09:40:24 EDT 2022

Do telephone companies generally (or specifically AT&T) cover repairs to the
customer side of the NID?

My old-school DSL is currently down; I can get DSL sync on the test jack on
the customer side of my NID, however farther on the line (still inside the
NID) there is a second jack which is part of the connection and I cannot get
sync there.

I know that I can call AT&T and they will repair it, and I know that AT&T
will find any excuse to charge me more money -- is this something telcos
normally repair for free because it's all inside the NID, or do they
generally charge for it because it's on the customer side?

Alternatively, where would I get replacement parts if this isn't just a
burned wire?

Thanks,
Don