[ale] Slightly OT: Retro-fitting Gigabit Ethernet in House?

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 16:01:01 EDT 2022

I second Solomon's suggestion for ease of use.  I have an older house with
some shady coax lying around but sure enough I was able to get 1Gb speeds
using MoCA.  Technically, from what I can tell, the MoCA devices say the
cable is good and could support the 2+Gb rate, if only the ethernet
connection on the adapter did that fast.  That said, that means there is
headroom on that coax line to have another MoCA adapter (or even two) to
expand using the coax instead of pulling without worrying about degrading
the speed.

I am, however, also getting stuff together to eventually do a pull of
Cat6E, finicky as it is.  I figure I might as well try for that 10Gb
goodness if I'm going to pull, and who knows, maybe I'll even prep some
fiber runs.

Options are nice to have, and punching holes in the walls should be done
with intent to expand (yes, I'm going to do conduit).

bnm