[ale] Slightly OT: Retro-fitting Gigabit Ethernet in House?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Aug 12 16:31:45 EDT 2022

This!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

All the 2.5Gbps MoCA chips were made by the same company last time I checked, so use that if you can and get 2.5Gbps real, shared, bandwidth between the connections. More than enough for any house. Of course, whether this works or not depends on the coax being anywhere near the places needed.

I have 600Mbps powerline that has a GigE NIC (that's how it connects, not at 100 base-tx).  In the same room, real world, it got 280 Mbps. Between the hallway and a room, that dropped to 220 Mbps. On different floors, it dropped to 60 Mbps. I bought the most highly rated powerline kit according to smallbiznetworking at the time.
If I were upgrading or doing this again, I'd go with 2.5Gbps MoCA for around $130 for 2 nodes.  There are some caveats about the different kits, so be certain to read up on which actually has a factory reset capability. Seems not all do.

Of course, if running CAT6+ is less than $200 between the floors, I'd do that, if possible.

I miss Austin.  Sigh.