[ale] Slightly OT: Retro-fitting Gigabit Ethernet in House?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Aug 12 10:09:53 EDT 2022

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 09:52:57AM -0400, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> His office is on the 2nd floor.   Yes, for his job he can make use of the
> extra speed. The only provision for ethernet is some coax of dubious
> caliber.

IIRC MoCA 2.0/2.1 devices will give you real-world Gigabit speeds, and
newer stuff will go even faster.  So I'd say it's worth a try before
going through the hassle of trying to pull Cat6+ through the place, and a hell of a lot better than pwerline.

> He's wondering if any of the powerline adapters really work at gigabit
> speeds.

In theory, the current-gen stuff will get you there but it's very
distance dependent.  Performance falls off rapidly, and they're very
suceptible to interference.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)