[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:29:02 EDT 2021

The 931 had a CIS that was vacuum driven. Brilliant engineering! Injection was in the intake manifold outside of each cylinder's intake valve. The same system could feed normal through turbo, and with a single metering piston change, through a dual turbo.

But a vacuum leak in 30 year old hoses in a section not manufactured any more was a nightmare. Think diameter change over a right angle bend with a total length of 2" on the outside of the elbow. Engine was basically starving until the turbo kicked at 3k rpm and moved the air flow plate enough to get fuel to move. Leaving a full stop with the turbo screaming by popping the clutch _was_ fun :-) Probably cost me $200 in tire wear alone getting it home.