[ale] 4K Monitors?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 14 13:26:22 EDT 2021

I went 4K on laptops years ago. Then scaled up so crap was visible. But pixels were totally invisible. Made for a very crisp view close up.

I have a 4K tv I plug the laptop into for jitsi classes. It's a 55" so I can see it from 15' away. I use a 4k capable hero camera for video, routing through a video game streaming adapter to usb3 on the laptop. I can easily deliver FHD video. My kids video stinks.

I looked at a 32" 4K monitor and decided against the price.

For gui work, screen real estate is nice and 4k delivers it in itty bitty pixels.

For console work it's a waste of money.

On May 14, 2021 12:02:23 PM EDT, Michael Potter via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I use a 42" monitor and basically use the lower 1/2 for most of my work
>and
>am able to put other things on the top.
>
>I compared a 42" TV and a 42" monitor (same rez) at the computer store
>side
>by side plugged into the same computer.  The monitor was hands down
>better
>quality.
>
>I don't know if I recommend it; I really don't think it is better than
>two
>monitors side by side.  On the surface one might think eliminating the
>border between the monitors is good, but it seems like it forces me to
>organize my work onto different screens.
>
>On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 11:10 AM Boris Borisov via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>wrote:
>
>> New modern desktops are so wasteful. Those are using some huge icons
>and
>> borders and buttons.
>>
>> I don't know why.
>>
>> So you basically upgrading your monitor to keep up with that tendency
>:)
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2021, 10:59 DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry if these are dumb questions.
>>>
>>> Is it time to move to a 4k monitor?
>>> Are 40 inch 4k TVs a viable option?
>>>
>>> Only 1 of my computers in the office can support 4K output and my
>KVM
>>> will need to be replaced from VGA inputs to HDMI/DP inputs to
>support it.
>>> Finding a good, cheap, KVM seems to be very difficult today. My
>Belkin
>>> OmniCube has been solid (PS2 connectors and VGA).  Think I can
>switch to
>>> USB for the keyboard and mouse now.
>>>
>>> Audio is working well with 2-sets of speakers directly connected to
>the
>>> specific machine. I prefer the audio separate from the KVM
>connection.
>>> These are analog 5.1 connectors.
>>>
>>> Anything else I'm missing?

Computers amplify human error