[ale] Reliable seller of refurbished MacBooks?

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Jun 2 14:37:32 EDT 2017

I had a cracked screen on my work MacBook Pro and took it to Onyx on Northside Drive just south of 75. They couldn't begin working on it for several days but I had to leave it with them for it to "get in the queue". This made no sense since I could still use it with the cracked screen, but they said as an authorized Apple repair shop, they had to do that--it's Apple's rule. They could have been lying but that's the procedure at the Apple stores and I suspect Apple doesn't want 3rd party repair shops to have that advantage. Once it got to the front of the queue, they "looked at it" and *then* ordered the part. It was very frustrating! Still, it was more convenient that the rigamarole getting a different repair done at the Lenox Mall Apple store.

I suppose for larger businesses that can afford to have a spare computer sitting around this can be worked around, but for smaller businesses this seems like a huge hidden cost of going with Apple. I was without my main work computer for a week.

I have seen used Apple products at GIM on Northside, too, but I haven't bought any there.

Scott