[ale] Fwd: HDMI out from lubuntu box to jvc television

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Oct 25 10:11:16 EDT 2015

a) On my similar MB, #3 is the HDMI output. Purging pulseaudio makes all
this much clearer.

b) KODI (really OSMC) using a R-Pi v2 pushing a 100in projector does
completely rock! It has been running non-stop about 4 months. No paid
codecs necessary, unless video is hidef and mpeg2 encoded. h.264 video
at any resolution is fine without the paid codec.

c) My G3258 is a NAS, Calibre, Plex Server with Kodi and many addons.
Usually headless, but connected to a KVM switch.

d) For $99, this CPU and MB were a bargain 7 months ago. Add a quad-port
NIC and it would make a VERY powerful pfsense router easily able to run
IPS/IDS tools as well for a small business.

e) The USB3 performance is excellent without impacting anything else on
the machine. Other systems here (core i5) all-but lock up when USB3 is used.

f) The G3258 supports both VT-x and VT-d, for those that want a cheap
entry into low-end virtualization. I am  not using those capabilities.
Should easily handle 5-10 small VMs based on the performance numbers.
35W of peak power use, but normally less even w/3 internal HDDs.

g) Can be overclocked by 1Ghz using the stock cooler. Never tried it.

h) Only downside is the obtuse EFI BIOS. Still takes me about 4 boots to
hit the magic keys to gain access. I'm using legacy boot, but it has
UEFI, which is the part I find too complex. Spent an entire morning
looking for a way to enable S.M.A.R.T. HDD data. Never found the
setting. Finally checked the disks inside the OS - it was enabled already.

</advertisement>
Sorry - just really find this CPU+MB to be AWESOME! All in a microATX.