[ale] Fwd: HDMI out from lubuntu box to jvc television

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sun Oct 25 18:20:22 EDT 2015

On 10/25/2015 10:11 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:

> h) Only downside is the obtuse EFI BIOS. Still takes me about 4 boots to
> hit the magic keys to gain access. I'm using legacy boot, but it has
> UEFI, which is the part I find too complex. Spent an entire morning
> looking for a way to enable S.M.A.R.T. HDD data. Never found the
> setting. Finally checked the disks inside the OS - it was enabled already.

I've been playing with direct boot to linux (no bootloader) using efi
and the merged kernel/initramfs method described by Greg Kroah-Hartman here:

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2013/09/02/booting-a-self-signed-linux-kernel/

I'm not done playing yet, but once I manually booted it (with an efi
shell), I was able to use the 'efibootmgr' tool to set the BIOS boot
configuration from within Linux.  Once I have it the way I want it, I'll
set up custom certificates in the bios so it only boots my kernels.

Shaping up to be a sweet system.

Phil