[ale] Fwd: HDMI out from lubuntu box to jvc television

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Sat Oct 24 22:13:31 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 01:02:04PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> I have the same CPU and similar H81 MB (gigabyte).
> Check that pulseaudio is not muted - or just purge it from the system.
>
> Had the same issue here last week after patching. No other changes were
> made.

I finally solved it. The Intel MB shows three HDMIs which show up as three
subdevices (3,7,8). 8 is the valid device for the HDMI connected to the TV.

Alsa selects the lowest subdevice, which is #3 as the default. It is
silent.

I finally found a page that indicates that the pulse device can be
redirected using pavucontrol->Configuration and selecting a profile for
HDMI that isn't showing disconnected.

I'm not sure if it's permanent, but for now kodi running on the big screen
on the wall is pretty awesome.

BAJ

> For setting the resolution after-the-fact, something like:
> $ xrandr --output DFP2 --mode 1280x720
>
> Can be used.  Run xrandr without options to see the monitors and modes.
> This can be put into the autostart file for lubuntu too.
>   ~/.config/openbox/autostart
>

> On 10/20/2015 10:54 AM, Byron Jeff wrote:
> > William,
> >
> > Not sure how to fix the video resolution. I wanted to chime in with my own
> > lubuntu/HDMI problem. Specifically sound.
> >
> > I finally put myself together a quiet, cheap desktop:
> >
> > Intel Pentium G3258
> > Asrock H81M-HDS MB
> > 16 GB Ram
> > Samsung 240GB SSD
> > Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTD
> >
> > HDMI works fine at the proper resolution. However, no luck with sound via
> > HDMI. pulseaudio always shows the HDMI as being disconnected.
> >
> > ALSA shows multiple SPDIFs for the internal Intel HDMI device. None are
> > muted.
> >
> > GoogleFu was not strong enough to solve this problem. So if anyone has
> > any suggestions, I would be very appreciative.
> >

> --
> Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
> centers, and
> servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff