[ale] thunderbird

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri May 29 15:55:58 EDT 2015

>>> so far, I have installed & tried LXDE, XFCE4, fvwm, and openbox.
>> Paul, Of those 4, only two are WM. The other 2 are DEs.
>>
>> * WM
>> * DM
>> * DE
>> These are 3 different things.  The WM controls where new windows are placed.
>>

> ok, so which are WM's ??

Did a little searching - seems newer WMs don't always allow control of placement
for application windows. openbox has a "smartplacement" policy for the config file.

My .fvwm2rc file has placement which looks like the ~/.Xresources format, so
there is hope that any X/Windows app should support it. I've noticed that
Mozilla programs DO NOT - perhaps due to their toolkit use. I dunno.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO/cli.html
http://xwinman.org/resource.php

For example:

$ xterm -geometry 72x24-0-0
  Puts an xterm in the lower right-hand corner.

xterm -geometry 72x24+0+0
   Puts and xterm in the upper left-hand corner.