[ale] CentOS repositories question

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:17:25 EDT 2015

The real problem here is brain-dead development methods such as static-linking, and even (yes I’ve seen it) grepping out the /etc/redhat-release and not running if it didn’t say the right thing (even though updating it to say the right thing caused the software to function perfectly).

Unfortunately, to Jeff’s point, most serious app vendors (and even some not-so-serious ones) will only support the “biggies” of the Linux world such as RedHat & SuSE (and to a lesser extent Debian) even though CentOS is binary compatible to RHEL…. >shrug<

As much as you and I and everyone else on the list would like all our favorite distros supported, the market just won’t go there.

Jerald Sheets
questy at gmail.com