[ale] Zimbra

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Aug 8 15:31:37 EDT 2014

I can't specifically answer for Zimbra, but another option is Zarafa
(which is available directly for Fedora and possibly other Distros). I run
Zarafa at home for contact and calendaring services.  I don't use it for
email.

It does not replace sendmail; it is not an MTA.  You would have sendmail
deliver to it, and when you send mail out through it you would have it
pass the email to sendmail.

Hope that helps?

-derek

On Fri, August 8, 2014 3:22 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Anyone here use Zimbra well enough to answer my question?
>
> Currently I use fetchmail on user accounts to grab mail from Earthlink,
> process through procmail, then Spamassassin and ClamAV and finally
> written to /var/spool/mail/<USER>.  I have multiple domains on this
> system.  If mail is sent to the asme user at another domain then it is
> send directly to this system. Sendmail catches it then it goes through
> procmail.
>
> These users use Outlook via IMAPS to access this via Dovecot and we use
> a 3rd party mail relay service to send mail out.
>
> The users are asking for Exchange type features.  Zimbra comes to
> mind.   If I loaded Zimbra on this system would it replace Sendmail?
> Can it figure out that the source is /var/spool/mail/<user> or could I
> modify each users .procmailrc in their home to insert the email in Zimbra?
>
> What I want to do is setup a test host at Rackspace Cloud.  Use
> fetchmail on it to retrieve a user's mail from our mail system. Load
> Zimbra on it and see how it works.
>
> The users can then access Zimbra via Outlook, Zimbra Desktop, or the Web
> Interface.  I've been using OpenMail, but have not updated it since 2008!
>

> Thanks,
> Chris

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745