[ale] Centos

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 22:43:46 EDT 2014

On Jul 25, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I had the RAM horsepower to run dedupe portion of ZFS it would be very
> useful. But I really don't understand the fascination with doing filesystem
> snapshots. My old-geezer factor is gimme a damn tape backup system. I want
> important stuff in at least 2 different locations. Filesystem snapshots
> tend to get stored on the same hard drives the real filesystem is on so
> that's useless from my perspective.

My experience with ZFS says dedupe is nice to have when you need it, but in most cases, it is FAR better trade off to add spindles and capacity than to muck about with the memory requirements for dedupe.

File system snapshots are cool BECAUSE you can send them to other places (or in our case, created ON another system after a daily rsync).  Oh, and in one case in our HPC clusters, we have a net bootable image stored/served by a ZFS filesystem.  It is snapshotted, and when we roll out a new node, we clone the snapshot.  How many times can you say you rolled out a node’s OS in about a second?

If your view of snapshots is only as a backup tool, you aren’t thinking creatively enough :-)

Brian