[ale] Slackware anyone

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Wed Aug 6 18:21:57 EDT 2014

Slackware 14.1 is GREAT!  I prefer Slackware for my firewalls (less
extra crap needing security patches so less frequent patching) and
generally for my Laptops.

Almost painless install on my new used Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and much
easier than #%$*& CentOS 6.5 to get the multimedia stuff working (Flash
on Firefox, playing commercial DVDs, etc.)  Figuring out video has been
automatic for a long time.

Wireless with WPA just worked.

Slackware gets security patches out as fast as RedHat and for important
security patches even will provide patches for years-old versions.

No dependency checking on patching so no "Dependency Hell" but yet
to cause a mismatch for me.

Trivial to patch.  I just scp over the accumulated set and it ignores
the ones it's already done.

Contact me if you want my notes on how to set up either SW14.1 or
CentOS 6.5 multimedia, etc.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

My latest article on computer security:

  The NSA and Snowden: Securing the All-Seeing Eye:
  How good security at the NSA could have stopped him

  http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2014/5/174340-the-nsa-and-snowden/fulltext