[ale] Fwd: Jim - cannot post this message to ALE, please post for me

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:06:55 EDT 2012

Is this a joke?

The US/Canadian border remains one of the least fortified in the
world. Doesn't the idea of Canadian Customs officials confiscating the
hard drives of common tourists seem almost comical or urban mythic?
Does this really happen?

Having grown-up on the US/Canadian border near Niagara Falls, this
scenario seems extremely improbable. Only the highest provocation
would result in this type of action, and it would probably require the
authorization of some fairly high-ranking officials and US cooperation
-- confiscating hard drives is not tantamount to confiscating some
suspect produce or plants.

So I guess, if you've really pissed-off the US government, you might
leave the computer at home. (and consider fleeing to Brazil instead of
Toronto.)