[ale] [OT] Please Help me with my homework

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Apr 1 10:53:29 EDT 2011

On 04/01/2011 10:20 AM, Chris Ness wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 22:24 -0400, John Temple wrote:
>>
>> I have to do a project for my statistics class where I have been
>> asked to get a bunch of people to take a quiz where you identify the
>> states. Can you PLEASE take this quiz and let me know what your score
>> was. I played guinea pig and got a 144.
>>

> 150 of 150. I guess it is age related, but I had trouble conceiving of
> anyone not getting a perfect score. At least no one who is on this
> list or college educated. The only exception I could see was maybe
> someone mis-clicking the mouse in some of the cramped states in New
> England.
Years and years ago (grad school) my wife and I had dinner at place that
was using placemats with a "name the states and capitals" game on them.
The waitress opined that most of her customers were getting about a
quarter or less of the possible responses.

This was in a university town.

Lots and lots of us do not find geography the least bit
useful/interesting/valuable.

I wonder how the advent of the map direction GPS is influencing spatial
ability? (And lets not guess, research only...)