[ale] [OT] Please Help me with my homework

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Apr 1 10:59:10 EDT 2011

Tom Freeman wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 10:20 AM, Chris Ness wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 22:24 -0400, John Temple wrote:
>>> I have to do a project for my statistics class where I have been
>>> asked to get a bunch of people to take a quiz where you identify the
>>> states. Can you PLEASE take this quiz and let me know what your score
>>> was. I played guinea pig and got a 144.
>>>
>> 150 of 150. I guess it is age related, but I had trouble conceiving of
>> anyone not getting a perfect score. At least no one who is on this
>> list or college educated. The only exception I could see was maybe
>> someone mis-clicking the mouse in some of the cramped states in New
>> England.
> Years and years ago (grad school) my wife and I had dinner at place that
> was using placemats with a "name the states and capitals" game on them.
> The waitress opined that most of her customers were getting about a
> quarter or less of the possible responses.
>
> This was in a university town.
>
> Lots and lots of us do not find geography the least bit
> useful/interesting/valuable.
>
> I wonder how the advent of the map direction GPS is influencing spatial
> ability? (And lets not guess, research only...)

Just like calculators have let my mental math skills get rusty, I find
that although I used to be really good about remembering directions
after one visit to a location, I now find I dig out the GPS for multiple
trips to the same location.  I now, consciously note the directions the
first time, and then don't use the GPS after that.
--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson