[ale] DVD ripping

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Oct 31 22:35:57 EDT 2007

James Sumners wrote:
> He is not burning the images to new discs. He is reading them directly
> from the hard drive.
>
> You might have a DMA issue. That is, your hard drive may not be
> reading as fast as it can. Do some searching for hdparm tutorials.
>
> Personally, I would rather transcode the main content. It reduces the
> file size, and makes viewing easier (don't have to deal with menus,
> etc.). You're willing to store 4.7GB and 8GB image files. So you don't
> have to go crazy with the compression to get the file sizes down to
> 700MB.  Therefore, you can have a further compressed file (it's
> already compressed on the DVD) but still have a decent picture.
>
> On 10/31/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 21:40 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>>

>>> Actually the 3rd and 4th DVDs I didn't do until this morning after 1st
>>> booting and the box was off for several hours. When I remove the media
>>> it does not feel hot, and I am able to do several back2back copies of
>>> DVDs with k3b without any problems. In fact that's how I copied the 3rd
>>> and 4th DVDs and then 3 double sided disks of the 1st season of House.
>>> Each disk/side was done one right after the other with no stopping. Now
>>> playback is a different story as there seems to some dropping and
>>> freezing happening. I'm not sure if it's the harddrive or the CPU. The
>>> harddrive is a 500GB SATAII on an Adaptec dual port SATAI HA and the CPU
>>> is an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 1GB RAM.
>>> Any ideas or maybe I should encode the images? (or is it transcode?)
>>>
>> You have to _boot_ your system :) It doesn't "Just Run" ?!
>>
>> I would first try slowing down the record rate. I have half a bazillion
>> DVD's here that _claim_ to be burnable at speed x18 or x32 or xbazillion
>> but they really only work well at x2 or x4. All of the dual layer disks
>> I have to burn very slowly or else I get a new coaster.
>>
>> I miss the AOL CDs. They made such good coasters.
>>
>> I digress....
>>
>> Dropping and freezing on playback is a decompression problem with your
>> CPU/IO having a problem. Either the bandwidth is too slow or the CPU is
>> bogging down and the result is a freeze or dropped section to keep up.
>>
>> That said, I have had no problem playing DVD's (commercial pressed
>> movies) on IBM Thinkpads running 700 MHz P3's with 512 MB RAM (Fedora 4
>> with Ogle as the player) even in full screen mode. So I suspect there is
>> a failure elsewhere.
>>
>> Test the player with commercial disk. Then make a test copy of the disk
>> and try the player with the copy. If the copy plays poorly, make another
>> copy and slow down the burn speed to x1 or x2. If it still is crappy,
>> you may be looking at artifacts from copy-protection stuff.
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>> CEO & Director of Engineering
>> Local Net Solutions,LLC
>> 770-493-8244
>> http://www.localnetsolutions.com

> [...]
I may get into transcoding in the future, for now I don't mind going
through the menu systems on the DVD. I'm thinking of building a library
of music and videos and creating a search and play front end, possibly
like MythTV but different. Although M$ had already announced after their
coffee table pc announcement of launching in the future something
exactly along the lines of what I want to do.