[ale] DVD ripping

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:20:34 EDT 2007

He is not burning the images to new discs. He is reading them directly
from the hard drive.

You might have a DMA issue. That is, your hard drive may not be
reading as fast as it can. Do some searching for hdparm tutorials.

Personally, I would rather transcode the main content. It reduces the
file size, and makes viewing easier (don't have to deal with menus,
etc.). You're willing to store 4.7GB and 8GB image files. So you don't
have to go crazy with the compression to get the file sizes down to
700MB.  Therefore, you can have a further compressed file (it's
already compressed on the DVD) but still have a decent picture.