[ale] OT: Good Support Company for 3Com IP Phone System?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jun 1 13:24:07 EDT 2005

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 11:36, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
>>FMI (for my info): Do have all the nbx100's ethernet traffic on your
>>main lan?  Or do you have a dedicated lan segment for it and somehow
>>interconnect just tcp/ip admin traffic.
>>
>>Almost on topic:
>>I was thinking of setting up a parrallel (voice) lan segment for the
>>phone system only.  Then put a virtual IP on our Linux fileserver that
>>would forward admin traffic from the main lan segment to the voice lan
>>seqment.
>>

> I went to Voicenet in Orlando and some of the vendors told me not to
> worry about VOIP traffic on my local lan with my data.  I'm a bit
> skeptical.  They also had installed decent networking gear.  Some gear
> that was made for VOIP and data networks combined.  They led me to
> belive that the idea of VOIP suffering on the same segment as data was
> part of a FUD campaign.  You will only know when you implement.

I would expect that it depends on the size of your pipe.  I can tell you
that if I place my voip device on one of my inside switches, and then
download something, calls get garbled.  Then again, this is DSL, I
suspect you're using something faster there.

> You may want to look at network switches that understand VOIP traffic
> and they prioritize it on the LAN.  $$$$$

Yes, or place the voip just behind the firewall if that's possible.
Most of these devices will do qos, giving priority to the voip.

--
Until later, Geoffrey