[ale] OT: Good Support Company for 3Com IP Phone System?

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:44:22 EDT 2005

On 6/1/05, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of setting up a parrallel (voice) lan segment for the
> phone system only.  Then put a virtual IP on our Linux fileserver that
> would forward admin traffic from the main lan segment to the voice lan
> seqment.

I have it on the internal LAN. The system does not need to use IP
unless you have phones in multiple physical segments (I.E. Remote
Site). By default it communicates at layer 2. You just plug it in and
go. There are 2 IP software options: IP on the fly and Standard IP. IP
on the fly allows you to set up a pool of addresses for assignment as
needed. If a layer two phone at the main site needs to transfer a call
to a Layer 3 phone at a remote site, it will snag an IP to complete
the transaction. Standard IP is just what it says it is. If you are
setting it up in one building, I'd just leave the network protocol set
to ethernet and run with it. You may or may not have access to the 2
IP options, depending on what licenses are installed.

--
Jonathan