[ale] OT: Good Support Company for 3Com IP Phone System?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 11:58:32 EDT 2005

On 6/1/05, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 11:36, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > FMI (for my info): Do have all the nbx100's ethernet traffic on your
> > main lan?  Or do you have a dedicated lan segment for it and somehow
> > interconnect just tcp/ip admin traffic.
> >
> > Almost on topic:
> > I was thinking of setting up a parrallel (voice) lan segment for the
> > phone system only.  Then put a virtual IP on our Linux fileserver that
> > would forward admin traffic from the main lan segment to the voice lan
> > seqment.
> >

> I went to Voicenet in Orlando and some of the vendors told me not to
> worry about VOIP traffic on my local lan with my data.  I'm a bit
> skeptical.  They also had installed decent networking gear.  Some gear
> that was made for VOIP and data networks combined.  They led me to
> belive that the idea of VOIP suffering on the same segment as data was
> part of a FUD campaign.  You will only know when you implement.
>
> You may want to look at network switches that understand VOIP traffic
> and they prioritize it on the LAN.  $$$$$

I happen to have a demo switch onsite right now that claims to do
that, but as you say $$.  I think this one starts at $10,000 and goes
up from there.

Our current phone system uses Cat5 in the walls/ceiling, so
implementing a dedicated Voice Lan Segment would not be that difficult
for me.  Mostly a matter of changing out the connectors on the end of
the wires and putting in a hub in the phone closet.

And setting up the IPtables masquerading logic sounds like a small,
but interesting challenge as well.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer