[ale] OT: Good Support Company for 3Com IP Phone System?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 1 11:51:45 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 11:36, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> FMI (for my info): Do have all the nbx100's ethernet traffic on your
> main lan?  Or do you have a dedicated lan segment for it and somehow
> interconnect just tcp/ip admin traffic.
>
> Almost on topic:
> I was thinking of setting up a parrallel (voice) lan segment for the
> phone system only.  Then put a virtual IP on our Linux fileserver that
> would forward admin traffic from the main lan segment to the voice lan
> seqment.

I went to Voicenet in Orlando and some of the vendors told me not to
worry about VOIP traffic on my local lan with my data.  I'm a bit
skeptical.  They also had installed decent networking gear.  Some gear
that was made for VOIP and data networks combined.  They led me to
belive that the idea of VOIP suffering on the same segment as data was
part of a FUD campaign.  You will only know when you implement.

You may want to look at network switches that understand VOIP traffic
and they prioritize it on the LAN.  $$$$$