[ale] Its over. Maybe

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu Nov 4 08:34:52 EST 2004

> > Who, exactly has reviewed the Diebold systems, that is, besides Diebold?
> > Oh, and Cathy Cox?
>
> I'm betting many others... and I am accepting it to.  Hint: get over
> it. ;)

Blind trust of this nature is neither sensible nor mature, and I dislike
the implication of "get over it" which suggests that people should
simply "get over" legitimate grievances.  There are many major issues
with the Diebold systems, both technical and political.  Unless you have
evidence to support the idea that there truly *has* been independent
review, Jim, I think that your avowed faith in their fair and functional
operation is at best misguided, and at worst disingenuous.

This isn't a computer in a car.  This is the governance of a country.
What is it Stalin said about who it is that decides an election?  Take
it to heart.

If there *are* situations where FOSS is not the solution, this is
absolutely not one of them.  What possible legitimate reason is there
for keeping the voting system secret and proprietary?

--George