[ale] Its over. Maybe

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Nov 4 09:18:00 EST 2004

George Carless wrote:

> If there *are* situations where FOSS is not the solution, this is
> absolutely not one of them.  What possible legitimate reason is there
> for keeping the voting system secret and proprietary?

I can easily suggest a solution where we can all vote in confidence.

First, voting devices should not be monopolized, in the case of the
Diebold systems, they are.

Second, the systems should be reviewed by non-partisan technically
capable people.

Third, voting devices such as these should be randomly seized and a
complete verification of the system be completed, again by a
non-partisan group.  That's to say, they could walk into a polling
place, anywhere in this country, select a machine and after protecting
the existing votes on that device, proceed to validate and verify that
it is functioning correctly.

--
Until later, Geoffrey