[ale] Problems with Promise TX2 Ultra100 controller

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sun Nov 23 19:53:42 EST 2003

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> Howdy Sports Fans!
>
>   I took the advice of the list and bought a Promise TX2
> Ultra100 ATA controller. I put it in my box (AMD Athlon
> XP 1800 with Epox motherboard). I put once disk on
> once channel and another disk on the other channel.
> I then tried two things: Making a RAID-1 from the two
> disks, and using the disks separately. For some reason
> I couldn't get the RAID-1 array to mount correctly.
> It kept screaming about an invalid superblock on
> /dev/md0. I rebuilt that silly thing multiple times
> including running fdisk every time.
>   Then I said screw it and built them as separate disks
> (/dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1). I mounted them and tried
> copying data to them. It was from another disk hung
> off the first IDE channel on the motherboard. I was
> copying about 4 Gigs worth of stuff. The box would
> lock up hard on me every single time I did this after
> about 50 Megs was copied.
>   Does anyone have any ideas what I was doing wrong?
>
> TIA!
>
> Jeff

Weren't you planning on using that card for JBOD?

Have you checked for the latest BIOS for the card? Current is 2.00.0.33
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=8&category=All&os=0

Did you install the linux driver for the card?
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=8&category=All&os=3

Send me a private email if this doesn't help, so we can get this offline
and not bore the list.

Thanks!

Jonathan Glass