[ale] Problems with Promise TX2 Ultra100 controller

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 14:09:03 EST 2003

Howdy Sports Fans!

   I took the advice of the list and bought a Promise TX2
Ultra100 ATA controller. I put it in my box (AMD Athlon
XP 1800 with Epox motherboard). I put once disk on
once channel and another disk on the other channel.
I then tried two things: Making a RAID-1 from the two
disks, and using the disks separately. For some reason
I couldn't get the RAID-1 array to mount correctly.
It kept screaming about an invalid superblock on
/dev/md0. I rebuilt that silly thing multiple times
including running fdisk every time.
   Then I said screw it and built them as separate disks
(/dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1). I mounted them and tried
copying data to them. It was from another disk hung
off the first IDE channel on the motherboard. I was
copying about 4 Gigs worth of stuff. The box would
lock up hard on me every single time I did this after
about 50 Megs was copied.
   Does anyone have any ideas what I was doing wrong?

TIA!

Jeff