[ale] Debian Sarge help requested - firewall and apt-get

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 19 22:05:57 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 02:06:00PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> 2. The easy one I cannot relocate.  What is the correct entry in the
> sources.list for keeping "Sarge" up to date and what is the correct
> command line (ex: apt-get ???????  ????????) to use to accomplish that.

The following sources.list should get you going:

-----
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
-----

Note that the deb-src is pointing to unstable; chances are, if you want
to build a package from source, you'll want the unstable version.

The commands are "apt-get update" to update your local database, and
"apt-get -u upgrade" to upgrade.  The -u option will show you the
upgrades first and give you a chance to review what packages are about
to be installed.  The APT HOWTO is a good source for more information:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

Also, put these two lines in your /etc/apt/apt.conf :
APT::Default-Release "testing";
APT::Cache-Limit "12582912";

The first line tells apt that you're using the testing configuration.
If you later decide to add more lines to your sources.list, then testing
will take priority unless you explicitly override it.  The second line
prevents the esoterice "E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room" error when
running apt-get update.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9