[ale] Linux & CAD/GIS

Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Thu Nov 13 10:32:40 EST 2003

Just a note for those with an interest in Linux in the CAD/GIS world:

I've been working for over two years now on a Linux application for
plotting MicroStation CAD files to PDF. We have support for native
MicroStation fonts, custom linestyles, and IPLOT pen tables. A co-worker
is developing the equivalent product for AutoCAD. Our model has been to
create a complete server-based system for plotting CAD documents to PDF.
We package the software on a Linux appliance. The Windows client for
submitting plot requests is written in Java, as is the plot server
running on the Linux box.

The primary sales so far have been in support of our core business of
providing customized solutions to utilites for distributing their
engineering data. We integrate information from multiple sources into a
database of  'intelligent' PDFs. We've written Linux tools for adding
bookmarks and annotations to PDF files. We've created a standard for
georeferencing PDF and custom plug-ins for Adobe Acrobat that recognize
this.

All the heavy lifting is done on Linux...

Alan

--

D. Alan Stewart
Senior Software Developer