[ale] OT: 64 bit laptops

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Nov 8 23:38:27 EST 2003

The advantages are as the thread has stated: you can address more than 4 GB
of RAM (very few apps need to do this), you can use numbers greater than
2^32 easily (very few apps need to do this), etc etc.. I think you are
confused on how the cpu operates.  Just because you can address 64 bits does
not mean that you have to do this or that you normally would do this in day
to day apps.  A 64 bit processor does not work at twice the speed of a 32
bit processor.  An instruction is an instruction on any machine.  However,
since many machines that need 64 bits also require bigger/faster/better
abilities to move data they are thus perceived as faster - due to their
overall architecure is so much better than that of a normal home type box
regarding bus sizes etc etc.

A good example is my Sun Blade 100 that is 64 bit and runs at 500 MHz.  It
is a dog at Java (invented by the same folks who made the box - Sun
Microsystems) runnning on Solaris (also Sun).  I assure you that it is not
twice as fast as a comparable 32 bit box unless you play to it's strengths.

Greg