[ale] OT: 64 bit laptops

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 22:50:11 EST 2003

why compile the kernel at 64 and rest 32? and if the apps are 32 will the
64 cpu double up on the apps running 2 32bit strings at once? or will it
just be a 32bit cpu machine? what advantage is to having a 64 bit cpu?

> You are correct.  Run your kernel 64bit and compile most apps at 32bit.
> Compile for 64bit only for those applications where memory usage or data
> access really needs the 64bit pointers (we're mostly talking specialized
> applications like James III mentioned earlier).

=====
**  computers are a lot like air conditioners, they stop working properly once you open windows **