[ale] SMTP AUTH SASL

Bradley Glonka bradley at linuxcentral.com
Tue May 21 08:03:25 EDT 2002

Red Hat has made it pretty easy to setup sendmail for SMTP AUTH.
>From the sendmail.mc file:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

This works just fine and authenticates a user against a system account.

Can anyone confirm this is sent via plain text?  I'm pretty sure it is.
Assuming it is how can SASL support some kind of encryption?  Or how can I make it
authenticate against /etc/sasldb

--
Brad