[ale] Linux, USB Alcatel, Bellsouth Fastaccess HELP!

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Tue May 21 07:31:41 EDT 2002

I am trying to help a friend of mine secure his home lan. He has Bellsouth
Fastaccess DSL. He has the USB Alcatel modem (blue stingray). I am trying
to set up Smoothwall due to its ease of use and the fact that my friend has
NO linux experience whatsoever. He just needs a simple firewall to protect
his PC's at home and with the web management interface on Smoothwall he can
easily perform what little maintenance that will be needed. Problem is I
can't get the damn thing to connect to Bellsouth. I uploaded the firmware
for the modem onto the smoothwall box and it can see the modem and is
communicating with it. I have entered all the information that I think the
connection should need but it just sits there trying to connect but never
does.

Has anyone tried a similar setup? What information is needed to make the
connection work? He has called bellsouth tech support (enter cynical
chuckle) but they are of little help. For Smoothwall the information fileds
that I have are for the following:

Service Name: Bellsouth.net  I assume .
Concentrator: Have no idea what this is or if I even need it.
Username: Just username or username at bellsouth.net
Password:
Authentication Method: PAP or CHAP, Standard script, Demon Script, or other
and a field to enter script name.
XPI #:
XCI#: both of these Bellsouth gave my friend but said he didn't need.

Check Boxes for:
Dial Connection with startup:
Dial on demand:          <know these three have nothing to do with
establishing a connection
Persitent Connection:
ISP requires carriage return: Anyone know if this is needed or not?

I think thats all. Anyone see anything missing? I tried every combination I
could think of but never got a connection, was on the phone having friend
make the changes so not 100% sure they were entered correctly. But I am
thinking about taking this setup home and setting it up on my DSL and then
just changing the info for my account to his after I get it working.

\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/