[ale] IT moving offshore

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue May 21 08:15:40 EDT 2002

This brings to mind my work experience from 1994. I was supporting a
point-of-sale system sold by NCR/AT&T (they were merged at the time). We
wanted to do some customizations. First, I tried to use my own modest skills
to understand how to do this. But the application was coded in Japan and the
manuals were a nightmare. I spoke with one AT&T rep on the phone who joked
about the manuals being in "Japlish". When we wanted more extensive
customizations, we had to turn to a hacker/consulting firm. Their job was to
find a way for us to print out our product list in alphabetical order--a
function that wasn't built into the application. They spent months hacking
into the code and working with programmers who had little command of English.
The whole project was a nightmare and resulted in a lawsuit. So, this is some
of what can happen when you farm out coding to a group that doesn't speak the
language of the users. I'm sure companies are a little more sophistcated
about it now, but I don't know how they could solve all of these problems. If
source code is closed, then you must rely on being able to communicate with
the programmers. And you must have documentation that is written in clear
English. On top of that, you need a support crew that not only understands
the code, but can communicate in the native language of the users. That
support crew must also be able to communicate with the programmers. None of
these realities is going to go away. But some companies will live through a
world of hurt before they get this point.