[ale] Please help: BellSouth ADSL hangs with sendmail and up2date

Chuck Mattern cmattern at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 30 09:44:04 EDT 2002

OK, a solution is at hand.  I started playing with ethereal and could see that
the same message body in sendmail was getting retransmitted over and over with
no acknowledgment.  Tried necking down the MTU and things are working fine
(send mail and up2date) with an MTU of 1250 on my workstation inside the
network.  I had read the Roaring Penguin doc and the BellSouth Survival Guide
and the only ref I found to MTU suggested something like 1492.  Currently the
MTU's on my firewall are:

eth0 (inside): 1500
eth1 (outside): 1500
ppp0 : 1492

Does anyone have any commentary on this?  Shouldn't I be able to set the MTU on
the outside interface (ppp0 only I'm assuming) and let the firewall handle the
rest?  Should I just set ppp0 to something like 1250?  Does anyone have a
higher working value?

Thanks,
Chuck

|Chuck Mattern	        | "People often find it easier to be a result |
|camattern at acm.org      | of the past than a cause of the future."    |