[ale] kernel upgrade newbie

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Wed Jul 17 10:31:16 EDT 2002

Cor van Dijk wrote:
> For what it is worth, here is my "kernelkitchen", for building kernels from
> inside redhat distro's
> (worked up to 7.1)
> 0. Get into /usr/src/linux or equivalent as root

There was thread on the Kernel developers list back in the 2.4.0-test era, where, as I read it, Linus said {paraphrase} "don't use /usr/src/linux to compile your kernel".  http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html
Does anyone know what the (non-distro specific) current thought is for where to do your kernel builds?  It seems to me that everyone is still using /usr/src/linux.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith