[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 12:30:23 EST 2002

On 12/17, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> How's Earthlink as far as running servers goes?

I use Earthlink.  I constantly expose ssh with no problems.  In the past
I've opened up 80 for short times, although I have a friend on Earthlink
who swears his port 80 is blocked.  I think that Earthlink has a policy
of blocking port 25.

Overall, I've had good experience with EarthLink.  In over 2 years
there's only been one significant outage.  Their tech support guys have
been pretty good about sending me to level 2 support without too many
"reboot, cycle the modem, check your settings" dances.  I wouldn't
expect too much Linux cluefullness from them though.  I've dealt with a
billing snafu with them before too, and was able to get the problem
solved with one phone call.

--
Cory T. Echols          | "The circumstances that endanger the safety of
ctechols at mindspring.com | nations are infinite, and for this reason no