[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 18 12:39:49 EST 2002

John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, John Wells wrote:
>

>>I use HellSouth DSL.  No problems with PPPOE at all.  Great uptime.  And
>>BellSouth also has external ethernet modems (you must request
>>specifically) which play very nicely with Linux.
>

> I want static IP. I was told this requires a business account, which in
> turn requires a business phone line. I suppose this might be deemed
> illegal, but you couldn't get that determination in time to help me so
> BellSouth is off my list.

Glad to hear they're off your list.

I had this conversation with Bellsouth when atlnet went toes up.  They
really stick it to you, because you:

pay extra for static ip
static ip is only available on a business line

So, you pay $90+ for dsl with static and then your phone bill is nearly
doubled, inspite of the fact the usage will be no different.

I'll say it again, they are the local monopoly, go elsewhere.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...