[ale] OT: H1B

mainwizard at vei.net mainwizard at vei.net
Mon Dec 16 16:45:40 EST 2002

Things differ from place to place as well. There are a lot of unemployed techs in Atlanta, but how many will move to Mont., Minn., Calif. or NY for a job? One of the advantages an H1B visa holder has is that they do not have a life 'here' and, as such, will work where the jobs are. I know that there are many 'Citz' who are willing to move as well, but how many of the complainers are actively searching in ALL of the states.

FYI, I am against the H1B visa system as currently abus...er, applied. I was out of work for 7 months and got my current job because the company can't afford the admin costs for an H1B and the program requires an insiders knowledge of the american school system. They weren't above hiring the cheapest contractors when extra manpower was required though. And those were all H1B's. The rank and file have presented a united front to management that any future hires (perm or contract) must have good english communications skills and a thorough knowledge of the basis for our product.

If any H1B's match these basic requirements, they will be considered. But, according to the H1B visa requirements, non H1B's will be given preference.

If only H1B's apply, what choice is there.

Oops, kinda got to ramblin' there. I think there's a point in there somewhere. :-)
Ed.