[ale] Redhat security updates available on RHN only ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 15 22:58:29 EDT 2002

Jeez! It's only $5/mo for priority access. There are mirrors of
everything RedHat (and there will continue to be for a long time into
the future) and it's easy to use tools like autorpm to work from the
mirrors for free if the $60/yr is too pricey. Another benefit to the
people who purchase the access from RedHat is priority access to the iso
images on new releases.

Updates are not being eliminated. There is a finite bandwidth available
for any location and they have to parcel it out so it works for them. It
wasn't that long ago that Ximian had to cancel the Akaimai distributed
servers for updates. It was a very expensive luxury. The hardware
running the RedHat up2date service was not cheap and nor is the
bandwidth. I would not be surprised if more people downloaded RedHat
than bought it on CD from them. Then there's the places like CheapBytes
that burn the downloaded CD's and sell them for 1/2 of what RedHat
charges. It's a lot of work that goes into making a distribution. And
they give it away!

$5 a month is pretty cheap. And with 7.3, there is a blinking icon in X
that tells you when an update is available. And it's STILL cheaper,
faster, better and certainly more reliable than anything from Redmond.

They have a "push" service that is a LOT more expensive than $5/mo.

Now if only GaTech mirror would turn on rsync...