[ale] I can't get a 6.8 Gig HD recognized as being > 2Gig.....

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 22 22:05:52 EDT 2001

Steve Throckmorton wrote:

> If your bios was manufactured before May 1996, it may be subject to a 2GB
> limitation for the hard drive.  A Google search for '2gb bios limit' will turn
> a ton of pages on the subject.  It can be overcome without a bios update, but I
> kinda doubt any of the utilities that do that were written to run under
> anything but MS OS's.

Uhm, Linux doesn't use the BIOS for HD access, so shouldn't care at
all about BIOS limitations. LILO will, but you should be able to
install and run Linux and use the entire drive, provided your
boot partition is in the first 1K cylinders.

-- Joe

> Steve
>
> --- Courtney Thomas <ccthomas at flash.net> wrote:
> > Greetings !
> >
> > I can't get my system to recognize that a Maxtor IDE 6.8Gig drive is
> > larger than 2 Gig no matter what I try.
> >
> > I've tried using DOS, MaxBlast, manually entering it's CHS parameters
> > with PNP BIOS turned off, putting it on different controller, different
> > cable, and fdisk, among other things.
> >
> > All help appreciated,
> >
> > Courtney
> > --

"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S