[ale] Are our Ethernet drivers in danger?

Robert Heaven robertheaven at mediaone.net
Tue Jul 3 21:36:28 EDT 2001

I think, perhaps, the proper terminology is "public domain". Any work done
by any employee of the US (or state) government, including written works and
inventions, and paid for by the tax payers, is considered public domain.
Consequently, these works cannot be copyrighted or patented and are
available for use by anyone. This concept goes back to the early days of the
US when the founding fathers set down the basic principle that the
government cannot "own" anything. Our congressional representatives are
simply our "agents" that spend our money on our behalf.

The only exception to this rule is when the government contracts with a
private company for the development or production of a product where that
private company produces the writing/invention. In this case, even though we
pay for the "work for hire", the private company is allowed to
copyright/patent the works. Although, there has been allot of controversy
over this issue, which is why the governments have been mandated to purchase
over-the-counter products as much as possible.