[ale] FTPD

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Jul 3 21:30:55 EDT 2001

> I feel silly bringing this up. I've been working with linux for years now,
> and I just upgraded a web server to 7.1, and neglected to enable FTP, in
> pursuit of more secure methods such as SFTP. Well the customers are
> revolting and shouting obscenities about Linux and SSH - so I'm trying to
> re-enable wu-ftpd 2.6.1. I installed the RPM, checked the configs, and all
> seems in place... I'm using xinetd, instead of inetd, could that be an
> issue? I even tried removing the RPM'd version, and compiling from source,
> and the daemon does not stay active, it simply exits without any status
> message and doesn't show up in a process list. Any input??
>
> - Ankur Chatterjee
>   Network Engineer
>   Five Star Communications
>   mobile: 678/612.5033
>   e-mail: ankur at 5sc.net

No solution, sorry. I just want to ask, why are they upset about SSH
and SFTP? Inconvenient? We have a similar project under
development at work on our Solaris FTP server (not my deal). I'm just
trying to anticipate the reaction of our external customers when it goes
live, and gauge whether or not the SA's are going to be getting into the
'help-desk' business, too.

Thanks.
-fgz