[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted <-- the virtual degree angle?

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Jul 3 21:53:15 EDT 2001

> on 7/1/01 12:34 AM, Gary Lawler at glawlert6 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I am interested
> > in knowing, from you who have been there and/or know what employers are
> > looking for, should I go to collage and pursue a degree in computer
> > science? If yes, would a four or two year be enough?
> >
> > Or, I can skip collage and go get the certifications?
>
> I can see from the many posts that you have gotten all sorts of advice,
but
> you wight want to seek guidance from the Oracle Temple of the Magic
Chicken.
> Myself, I never make a major decision without first consulting the Oracle
>
>     http://MoonBughead.com/Oracle/

This has been an interesting thread. Particularly the overwhelming
support of the traditional four year (plus) college degree. Also,
going the military route, and the 'be a boss' bit were interesting
points. Yet something else occurred to me, and maybe some of
you also. So I consulted The Magic Chicken over it: how about
getting a 'virtual' degree instead of the traditional brick and mortar
degree? Hey, why ~not~ the internet? (Except for the lack of social
contact, and the beer parties...) But, is this also not better than
just getting certifications? (The University of Phoenix comes to
mind.) However, The Chicken told me to "piss off!", so I toss it
back to the list. Personally, I'm still traditional (and getting
old!), thus I'm skeptical. Maybe in another couple of decades?

-fgz