[ale] How to partition drives

Douglas Bridges doug_bridges at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:09:57 EDT 2000

I am about to install two new drives and Mandrake 7.1, and I would
appreciate some advice on how to set up the partitions on the drives.
Current Setup:
Adaptec 2940 with
/dev/sda 4G
  4G sda1 -> Closed Sourced nasty OS for freelance work and wife
/dev/sdb 2G
  /dev/sda1 -> 128M swap
  /dev/sda2 -> 128M swap
  /dev/sda3 -> /

I am about to add two new IDE(bleh!) drives, a 202MB and a 1.6 G. I still
need to be able to boot M$-O$ off my larger scsi drive.

Here was my plan :
   /dev/hda(202G)
   /dev/hda1 -> /boot

   /dev/hdb(1600MB)
   /dev/hdb1 -> 128M swap
   /dev/hdb2 -> /home

   /dev/sdb(2000MB)
   /dev/sdb1 -> 128M swap
   /dev/sdb2 -> /

There is a good possiblity I will be adding a large(>10G) IDE drive to the
system in the future, so I want the machine set up so it can expand. I don't
think I have set up my partitions so that it can easily expand. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

PS: If anyone is looking to buy a '90 Celica GT that is in good shape, send
me an email.